Re: Temporary Tables - 3 of 3

  • From: Rajesh.Rao@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:03:06 -0400

The main disadvantage with global temporary tables, is that you cannot
gather statistics for them (unless a hint is provided), and hence, the
optimizer might not choose an optimal plan, especially when you join GTT's
with permanent tables in your transactions.  Second, is that if you have
too many sessions accessing the GTT, then since each session gets its own
copy of the table, you might end up occupying too much temp space.

                      rjamya

                      <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>        To:       Igor Neyman
<ineyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                  cc:       gkatteri@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Meenakshi.Aggarwal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l
                      oracle-l-bounce@fr         <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      eelists.org               Subject:  Re: Temporary Tables
- 3 of 3

                      08/26/2005 03:03

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      rjamya

if it is solely because of memory processing being faster, then we should
be using in-memory databases. I like GTTs because they provide more
flexibility, if I am using 10 rows or 10m rows. It is just like another
table ... no casting required.

Raj

On 8/26/05, Igor Neyman <ineyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Temporary tables will be also "in memory" if they fit sort_area.
And, "on commit preserve/delete" only adds flexibility to temporary
table, which speaks in their favor.

Igor Neyman