Re: Temp tbs with no temp file

  • From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kedeshpande@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, all_about_oracle@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 12:52:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
 Sorry I did not catch all the messages in this thread...

 So, is this temporary tablespace the default at database level?

 Look in DATABASE_PROPERTIES to check which tablespace is the default temporary
tablespace.

  select *
  from  database_properties
  where property_name = 'DEFAULT_TEMP_TABLESPACE';

 If the default temp tablespace is the same that does not have any tempfiles
associated
with it, then your sorting, so far, did not need to write to sort segments and
was
completing in memory (same for the hash joins). If those segments needed to be
written to
temp tablepace without tempfiles you would have seen following error:

  ORA-25153: Temporary Tablespace is Empty

HTH,

Cheers!

- Kirti

--- Sinardy <all_about_oracle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My DB without temp file (tablespace) for like two months during this time
> where are the sorting being carried out? I know add temp file will work but
> just curious how come I can work without temp file.
>
> regards,
> Sinardy

Yahoo! Mail