RE: Temp space in 10g and data insert speed

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ineyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Gints.Plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:35:10 -0500

Gints,
 Thanks for the feedback, It gives me other avenues to venture down.
The load procedures are.
Log into server 1 and issue "insert into table1@databaselink select *
from table1;"
on the larger tables I would separate the inserts by the primary key
(saledate) and
load a month at a time then commit;

I will look into the WORKAREA_SIZE_POLICY parameter and it's impact
when I get a chance. Right now I'm tied up with new client pc
deployement.
It's great to have a multi- tasking job.
Ron

>>> "Gints Plivna" <Gints.Plivna@xxxxxxxxx> 01/11/2005 9:47:43 AM >>>
According to docs default value for 10g for parameter
WORKAREA_SIZE_POLICY is AUTO. As you havent it explicitly set to
MANUAL
in init file which means you are using automatic sizing of PGA defined
by  pga_aggregate_target. As you have commented out
pga_aggregate_target
it may use its default value and once again from docs it is 10 MB or
20%
of the size of the SGA, whichever is greater. Probably 20% (~130M I
think) in your case is big enough.

But if you are using WORKAREA_SIZE_POLICY=AUTO then Oracle doesn't use
sort_area_size and sort_area_retained_size.

And you haven't told anything about data loading process, so probably
problem isn't in db parameters.

Gints