RE: Tablespace free space monitoring, including AUTOEXTEND

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:38:37 -0400

A quite reasonable way to handle this is creating a table of available
volumes or mount points with the total space available (or reserved) for
Oracle on it and then having the sys admins update that table if they add
some physical space. Then your "am I about to go splat" reports can subtract
the sum of the size of the datafiles on that mount point from the total
available to yield the amount available for autoextents and/or new files.
Creating this sort of cooperation through information in the database is
often a great first step in getting a working relationship going when there
is trouble between the storage management and DBA camps, and it is useful
everywhere.

Of course if you've got the permissions to directly keep track of what is
actually available that is even better.

(Us and Us always works better than Us and Them).

  _____