RE: Table growth - disk sizing

  • From: "Gogala, Mladen" <MGogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ranko.mosic@xxxxxxxxx'" <ranko.mosic@xxxxxxxxx>, Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:10:13 -0400

Well, here's how it's done: you get your business analysis team to
pull the growth numbers out of their a...nalysis and then you make
the prediction. An accurate prediction can be based on historic growth data,
if nothing changes. If there is a sudden change in business, your prediction
is no longer good. You cannot make an accurate growth prediction when you
create table. An attempt to do so is completely analogous to what Pythia,
the Oracle of Delphi was doing. Oracle of Delphi was an early leader in the
executive support systems area and is not to be confused with Oracle Corp.
The main method used by Oracle of Delphi was SQL, what was an abbreviation
for "Said Quixotically on Laurel".
Prediction in the situation you describe are, essentially, a blame game.
You get business analysts to make a prediction and when it fails, point the
finger toward them. That's one of the things that makes corporate life
interesting.

--
Mladen Gogala
Ext. 121