TDE issues

  • From: "William Wagman" <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 17:00:07 -0700

Greetings,

 We have 2 databases devx, testx are on the same server and database
links are created from devx to testx and vice versa.  The following
scenario clearly shows that there is an issue with queries when they run
from encrypted database to an unencrypted database, but not the other
way.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Devx database, where TDE is implemented.

Create table t1 (c1 varchar2(2));

Insert into t1 values ('1');

Insert into t1 values ('2');

devx=SQL>alter table t2 modify (c1 encrypt);

devx=SQL>desc t2;

----------------------------------------- --------
----------------------------

C1                                                 VARCHAR2(2) ENCRYPT

Testx database, where TDE is not implemented.

Create table t2 (c1 varchar2(2));

Insert into t2 values ('2');

Insert into t2 values ('3');

On testx, following sqls run and get the results as expected.

*******************

testx=SQL>select * from t1 where exists (select 'x' from oracle.t2@devx
a where a.c1 = t1.c1);

C1

--

2

1 row selected.

testx=SQL>select * from t1 where not exists (select 'x' from
oracle.t2@devx a where a.c1 = t1.c1);

C1

--

1

********

On devx the following sqls run and the results are NOT what we expect to
see.

****

devx=SQL>select * from t2 where not exists (select 'x' from
oracle.t1@testx a where  a.c1 =  t2.c1 );

C1

--

2