Re: T3 processor/system & Oracle License

  • From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:57:16 -0500

I was just talking about this at OpenWorld.  I'm getting increasingly
frustrated with Oracle (and other folks are getting frustrated too).
Oracle needs to fix their broken licensing model.

For the past few decades, Moore's law has been applied to processors by
making smaller more efficient circuits and thus faster chips.  In that
ecosystem, Oracle could charge by socket or by core because there was
room for processing growth without automatically doubling license costs.

Today the chips can't get any smaller.  Moore's law is applied to
processors by increasing parallelism.  Intel says "this new chip now has
64 cores!!" ...and I say "NOOOOOOOO! My license costs!!!!!"

We need to maintain the growth of processing capacity we've had for the
past few decades, but nobody can afford to start doubling our database
license costs every year.  This business of "fractional pricing for
cores" isn't going to fix anything in the long run.  Oracle REALLY needs
to do something about it, and I'm getting a bit tired of waiting...
these costs are getting a little crazy for the average business.

-Jeremy

--
http://www.ardentperf.com
+1 312-725-9249