Switchover of Logical Standby database

Hi

I have had some experience with physical standby databases and the Data
Guard broker but have recently been asked to implement a logical standby
on 10.2.0.4 on Windows 2008 Server.  I was quite surprised to find that
when a switchover or failover is performed that the databases are not
shutdown, which results in a faster operation. However, I was perturbed
to find that any sessions that were originally on the primary remained
on the same database, that is, ended up on the standby database, when I
would have expected them to be on the new primary.  Queries can still be
executed but any attempts at DML result in : "ORA-16224 Database Guard
is enabled".   This seems an unlikely situation and I can't help but
feel that I must have something wrong with the configuration, although I
can't imagine that it would work at all if that were the case.

Is this the expected behaviour or should the sessions have transferred
during the switchover?

Regards

Gerry