Re: Swap Space

  • From: David Robillard <david.robillard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bill Zakrzewski <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:22:39 -0400

Hi Bill,

> I am installing Oracle on a linux server running RH 5.x with 18gb
> of memory.  According to the Oracle install guide it recommends a swap space
> equal to total memory or 18gb.  Does it really require swap space of 18gb?
> If I allocate less space for swap (say 8gb), will that have any adverse
> effects?

Take a look at RedHat's Recommended System Swap Space:

That being said, with today's enterprise disks at 146 GB and more plus
SAN & NAS storage, I'm not sure why one would not want to use 18 GB
out of 146 GB for swap?

I would suggest that you dedicate a first pair of mirrored local disks
for the OS and another seperate pair of mirrored local disks for swap
and a /var/crash partition of at least your (memory + swap + /tmp)
size. That way you're 100% sure to get a valid vmcore file if your
system has to dump one (which I hope it never has to :)

See "How do I configure kexec/kdump on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5?" at:

David Robillard
UNIX team leader & Oracle DBA