RE: Sun + Oracle = Ra?

  • From: "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:25:29 -0400

Now that Oracle will own Solaris, which is a much more robust OS than
Linux, it will be interesting to see whether Oracle will remain
committed to Linux the way it has been for the past few years or will
switch back to Solaris as its prime platform for development. This deal
has some very interesting dimensions. It will also bring Oracle in the
same category as IBM and HP with the edge that Oracle offers a host of
applications that none of the other vendors do. I believe that I saw a
news recently that Jonathan Schwartz was in favor of Sun-IBM deal but
Scott McNealy was not. I am sure that Scott has a lot to do with this
deal with Oracle given the relationship his company enjoyed for a long
time with Oracle in the past.