Re: Sun JPI and JInitiator

  • From: "Kurt Van Meerbeeck" <kurtvm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: malufeng@xxxxxxxxx, legedoos@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:55:39 +0000

Hi,

We had the same problem - the first method we tried :
- Plugin detect script by Eric Gerds
  http://www.pinlady.net/PluginDetect/
-> we altered it so it could detect jinitiator and then based on which plugin
is detected we generated different html
problems :
- does not work on citrix
- some clients encountered problems with the script in place in combination
with jinitiator
- works only in IE I think and there seems to be issues in IE7

The second method is a combination of using an apache2 based reverse proxy
and rewriting urls.
We already had reverse proxies in front of our app servers so that made it
a bit easier for us. In the reverse proxy we check the user-agent http header
If we detect vista we rewrite the url so that it points to JPI enabled page.
Otherwise we point it to a JINI page.

We also have another solution based on a SSO plugin the rewrites the site-token
on a user per user basis. We are now migrating all our users (3000)
 to JPI, leaving JINI. JPI has proven to be more stable overall.

cheers,
Kurt