Re: Suggestions for monitoring tools?

On 4/29/05, Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been asked by one of our clients to take over monitoring their
> Oracle database.  =20

What are you trying to monitor?  Just that the database is up?=20
Checking the alert log for errors?  Something else?

If you know your way around Oracle and know shell scripting then, on
UNIX at least, it's not too  hard to knock up a script that will
periodically check that a database is up and check the alert log for
errors then mail you or put a message on a monitoring console.  If you
want to check for more things then it might be a case of a more
complex script or maybe a packaged tool, packaged tools tend to cost
real money.

Your best indicator of whether the database is up is your users, even
if you have a tool that checks every minute there's still a chance
that it will go down just after you checked it (actually Sod's law is
that it will go down a second after you've checked it and a second
before a user is about to put a really important transaction on it).

Windows systems are a bit trickier.

Stephen
--=20