Re: Suggestion on instructor-led online or in-class courses

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: saad4u@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:19:56 -0600

Watch out for the beta exams.  I took one for Oracle8i way back when and it cost something like $25 or $50 (I forget exactly which).  A bargain, says I.  It was over 200 questions, and they were asking for feedback on the questions.  Feeling altruistic, I gave lots of feedback, and passed the exam easily.  Did my bit for the "Oracle community" and got a bargain on certification, says I.

Then I waited for my certificate.  Finally, after a few months of waiting, I called the OCP folks to find out that passing the beta exam does not mean getting certification.  I asked the person why I paid $25 (or $50, I forget) and then spent 2 hours providing copious feedback to four times as many questions as the normal exam, and the person replied, "You paid so you can take the beta exam".  I kid you not.  Oracle actually thought people would want to pay to provide beta feedback, for no other benefit.

So, I took it again at full price and chalked it up to a learning experience.

Read the small print.

Saad Khan wrote:
Does anyone have any updates on 11g certification?

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry, that's right... my mistake.  :)  FYI, it's not strictly required
that you take the course through Oracle University - and maybe someone
else will offer it a little cheaper... but that is really a rip.
http://www.oracle.com/global/be/education/certification/dba10g_onecoursereq.html

Beta exams are cheaper than the regular ones; I don't know if there are
equivalent "beta classes" -- also the classes are often offered at
events like Collaborate and Open World although I'm not sure if they are
cheaper either.

-J

--

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l