Re: Subject: Batch load freezes every couple of minutes

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:35:29 -0400

On 4/19/05, Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I had a problem with the database that appeared
> to be hanging during large loads, and "hanging" was occuring in regular i=
nt=3D
> ervals, which
> immediately made me suspect checkpoints and disregard suspicions about lo=
ck=3D
> ing. As it turns
> out, I was right. The database had a standby, and, of course, there was a=
 l=3D
> og_archive_dest_2,
> defined as MANDATORY. I immediately suspected network, but the T3 line wa=
s =3D
> running at <0.1% of capacity.
> It turned out that an ethernet port on the switch was blinking re=3D
> d....the machine
> had a problem reaching the router.=20
>=20
> --=3D20
> Mladen Gogala
> Oracle DBA

Mladen,

careful where you use ratios :).
0.1% utilization of a GigE network card would translate into a 67%
utilized T1 line.

Gotta love running sqlnet over WANs ... there is an adventure in every epis=
ode.
I had something somewhat similar, whereby the monitoring software
running on the firewall was on the fast ethernet side.

the quote was:
"But the T1 is only running at 1% utilization".

Yes. It was physically impossible for it to get to 2% as a T1 line
won't handle 2 Mbps.

Ratios. Can't kill em.

Paul

--=20
#/etc/init.d/init.cssd stop
-- f=3Dma, divide by 1, convert to moles.