RE: Stress my CPU's

  • From: "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:08:43 -0500

I have also found that a script along the lines of
does a pretty good job of CPU consumption.

Paul Baumgartel
Information Technology
Prime Services Databases Americas
One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
Phone 212.538.1143

From:   "Robertson Lee - lerobe" <Lee.Robertson@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:     <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   11/17/2009 09:40 AM
Subject:        Stress my CPU's
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        AIX 6.1
        I have been asked to do some stress testing and it is causing me
stress ;-)
        I need to really hammer the CPU's on the box as we want to test
dynamically allocating CPU's from another partition to handle the
increased workload.
        I am having difficulty getting the CPU's maxed out or indeed to
even use more than 2.
        I have been running cartesian joins with various hints
(parellism, using hashes etc) but just cannot get the relevant amount of
work generated. It tends to spike at about 80% on a couple of CPU's then
the result set comes back after about 30 secs and CPU useage then
obviously drops. This is a T & D server with 16 CPU's on it. Are there
any clever tricks out there I can use to simulate a full on workload??

 Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic
communications disclaimer: