        From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:04 AM
        To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Cc: Lee.Robertson@xxxxxxxxxx
        Subject: Re: Stress my CPU's

        Not a database-generated CPU stress, but I find that gzip /
gunzip really suck up CPU.  Sometimes I launch 8 parallel gzip sessions
and bring the 8 CPUs on one of our newer servers to near 100%
utilization each.

        Write a little script that spawns 16 gzip -9 processes, then
gunzips, then gzips on some multi-GB sized files.  Since the CPUs won't
care how they're stressed - database or otherwise - you might get the
results you want.

        Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
        Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
        512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

From:   "Robertson Lee - lerobe" <Lee.Robertson@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:     <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   11/17/2009 09:40 AM
Subject:        Stress my CPU's
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

________________________________

        Hi,

        Oracle 10.2.0.3
        AIX 6.1

        I have been asked to do some stress testing and it is causing me
stress ;-)

        I need to really hammer the CPU's on the box as we want to test
dynamically allocating CPU's from another partition to handle the
increased workload.

        I am having difficulty getting the CPU's maxed out or indeed to
even use more than 2.

        I have been running cartesian joins with various hints
(parellism, using hashes etc) but just cannot get the relevant amount of
work generated. It tends to spike at about 80% on a couple of CPU's then
the result set comes back after about 30 secs and CPU useage then
obviously drops. This is a T & D server with 16 CPU's on it. Are there
any clever tricks out there I can use to simulate a full on workload??

        TIA

        Lee

 Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic
communications disclaimer: