Re: Streams: 9i source to 10g target

  • From: "Arul Ramachandran" <contactarul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: afatkulin@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:25:55 -0700

Yes, the source could be 9i and target could be 10G; in fact, they could
even be different Operating systems.

Even with 10G it takes a lot of sweat to make it work.... one needs to work
with Oracle support most of the time on issues. Capture, apply, propagate
processes get aborted randomly and there is a need to set up monitoring of
these processes...

I do not know if it is me, but in my experience, I found Streams to be flaky
when it comes to handling large transactions.. especially with batch jobs.
If there are no frequent commits (example: commit every 1000 rows) then the
apply either gets stuck or takes hours to catch up. This based on 10.2.0.2

Regards,
Arul

On 3/27/07, Alexander Fatkulin <afatkulin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

David,

here is my top headaches with 9i streams. All experience is based on
9.2.0.6 HP-UX (Itanium).

No streams pool - they are simply using your shared pool for buffered
queues. They dedicate a 10% of it by default. This can be fixed by
setting the _first_spare_parameter but anyway - this puts additional
pressure on your shared pool. We observed random ora-4031 under peak
workloads (we were doing approximately 240 LCR/sec under peaks).

They are slow when forced to mine from archived (not online) redo.

We observer random logminer crashes approximately once a week. Newer
versions / different platform may behave better (or worser).

No automatic clearing of checkpoint-related information (or I
completely missed it). My checkpoint table grew to 800MB in a first
three days. I've ended up scheduling a job with manual cleaning up
(system.logmnr_restart_ckpt$/system.logmnr_restart_ckpt_txinfo$) from
those tables. Increasing the _checkpoint_frequency can help a bit.

Capture restarts are just ridiculous. They can roll back to a rather
old archive log file. Hence it's sometimes hard to figure out what you
can delete safely and what you can not. 10G is _much more_ predictable
in this case.

No downstream capture. So you can not do a sort of "free lunch" from
source server perspective.

Lots of unsupported data types. Function-based indexes were my "number
one".

I've ended up manually instantiating all replication environment. That
is - I have used dbms_capture_adm.create_capture to create capture,
dbms_rule_adm to manually create rules, etc. That way the results are
a little more predictable (dbms_streams_adm.add_*_rules can sometimes
fail in the middle and not do any sort of cleanup). But that helped me
to better understand the whole process. I still do it that way in 10G.

That's all as long as I can remember.

The 10G is much more better in all areas

On 3/28/07, David Aldridge <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, Kirtikumar Deshpande mentioned the flakiness of 9iR2 streams at
RMOUG

--
Alexander Fatkulin