Re: Storing single numbers in the database

  • From: "Rumpi Gravenstein" <rgravens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:33:55 -0400

I'm with Bryan.  The rule of thumb I've used is that if you are not going to
do math with the value it should be stored in a character field.  I've
stored phone numbers, zip codes, SSNs etc. in CHAR and VARCHAR2 fields.  The
point behind some of this is that as these "numbers" can have significant
leading zeros they are much easier handled as strings.  Also, with strings
there can be no rounding and other display related "challenges".  In your
situation these benefits are not as clear.  At the end of the day you should
store the field in a string type as there is no telling what the future will
hold.

On 6/5/07, Bryan Michael Lenihan <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Sandy,

I actually kind of agree with the developer – from what you have posted.
I typically recommend CHAR/VARCHAR for numeric values that are not going to
be used in a calculation and allow the developer or a check constraint to
set the business rules.  Even more so if the entry is going to be an
unlinked code (0,1) for flexibility and have the developer, or check
constraint, set up the business rules.

I do not really agree with the translation issue that the developer has
posted, but I do not know what language or system you are using.

This is just my 2 cents worth from your description.

Thanks,

Bryan

(DBA turned Developer turned back to DBA)