Re: Storing single numbers in the database

  • From: "Buchanan, Jason" <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 21:04:05 -0400

On Jun 5, 2007, at 6:27 PM, Buchanan, Jason wrote:

However, I know of no "conversion" required when sorting a non- numeric datatype.

Later tonight i'll have to dig up Wolfgang's paper on numeric sorts of data stored in character-based datatypes. The method Oracle uses to perform a numeric sort of numerical data stored in varchar2 fields is well documented in his paper.

hmm, well, I thought it was Wolfgang who wrote a paper about the sorting process but it must be someone else. Will look after I get my 2 year old in bed.

thanks,
jason