RE: Storing blobs in database vs filesystem

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 07:41:06 +0800

Quoting Kevin Closson <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> the manipulation of file attributes that is tough for files. I'd say
> there are not many (if any)
> filesystems that can readily handle millions of files in a directory.

Indeed.  In my previous job we had one with 80000 on ext3
and it was a pain to do anything with it.  I never got
the chance to explore some of the large directory optimisations
in ext3 but I don't think even those would cope easily
with hundreds of thousands or millions.  And nowadays those
numbers are easily reachable...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto