RE: Storage array advice anyone?

The probabilities are already worked out, and they're publicly available =
in
the paper called "RAID: High-Performance, Reliable Secondary Storage" =
(an
ACM Surveys article) by Messrs. Chen, Lee, Gibson, Katz, and Patterson.

Not many people bother to put them into Excel, but when I once played =
with
the numbers a bit, I realized pretty quickly that the probability of an
outage-causing double-whammy is a lot worse than most people think. The
article mentions that point specifically, if I remember correctly.

The key idea is that the failures of two disks in an array are =
frequently
not independent events. Often, the event that just screwed up disk #1 =
has a
higher probability now of screwing up disk #2 before you can fix #1.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 1/4 Calgary
- SQL Optimization 101: 2/7 Dallas
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...