Sticky bit set on linux password file

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:51:42 -0700

While going through an annual sarbox task I noticed that on Linux (maybe
unix too)
the sticky bit is set on the password file.

[oracle@server before]$ l $OH/dbs/orapworcl
-rwSr-----  1 oracle oinstall 1536 Oct 30  2007
/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/aglqa/dbs/orapworcl

The bit is shown as a capital S due to the execute bit not being set.

There's nothing in ML about it, at least I could not find anything.

The following test was performed:

shutdown database
chmod 640 orapworcl
startup database
logon to database remotely as sysdba

It doesn't appear that the SUID bit serves any purpose.

Does someone here know why the password file is  SUID?

--
Jared Still