RE: Steps to move schema data from one database to another

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:00:38 -0400

 J, if you want to use the source database values for the sequences and
they already exist in the target database I think you will want to drop
them prior to import.  I would expect private synonyms are already set
up the way you will want them but if you are doing a user export public
synonyms will not be part of the import.  You will have to re-create
them if they do not already exist in the target db.

If FK constraints exist in the target db I would drop them and let
Oracle re-create them during the import otherwise you could have table
loads error off and have to go back and fix data.

If any of the target tables are large then depending on the index
definitions you might need to use commit=y on the import depending on
how your rollback segments are configured.

Just so things to think about.
-- Mark D Powell --