Re: Statspack ratios help

Sandeep,

You've gotten some comments which may be confusing.  I'll have to disagree
with the concept that "a 100% buffer cache hit ratio is bad".  That's not
true.  A 100% BCHR is not bad.  Nor is it good.  That's why wise folk tell
you not to use ratios to judge/improve performance.  The ratio is mostly
irrelevant.

What you want to look at is the section of Statspack that is half a page
below these ratios-- the Wait Event and CPU usage statistics.  Is your
system spending a large amount of time waiting?  If it's not waiting, is the
CPU usage high (relative to the number of CPUs you have).  If the answer to
these questions is no, then you don't have a system-wide problem.  But that
doesn't mean that you might not have problems with individual processes,
which may not show up in system-wide statistics.  Are your users
complaining?  Is your application sufficiently fast?  If something is
running slowly, you want to concentrate on that process (which is where you
use 10046 traces and such, as someone mentioned).

But the ratios below don't tell you what you need to know (though the fact
that almost all of your parses are soft is a good thing).

--Terry