RE: Statspack Report

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:35:22 -0500

Kevin
    The two sources I'm aware of, aside from the Oracle documentation, are
the series of Oracle Magazine articles and Don Burleson's book Oracle9i
High-Performance Tuning with STATSPACK.
    Also, be aware of the limitation of STATSPACK. Statistics are aggregated
in two dimensions - by time (the interval you take snapshots) and by all
processes on the system. Cary Millsap does a great job of pointing out the
limitations of methods that perform these aggregations. My personal analogy
is: "You can drown in a river that is only an average of three feet deep".

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means
doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case,
the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive."
-- C.S. Lewis