Re: Statistics_Level = All for Stress Testing?

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:03:50 +0200

Hello Jack

I was once bitten by the 'ALL' setting, as a database was crawling and I could not find the reason. Finally, after a lot of other things, I changed the setting and the system was working fine.

I think it all depend on the typical usage of the database. The more work each SQL does, the less the impact of ALL.

In my case the application did a lot of quick and short SQL calls during startup and the overhead killed the database, with one concurrent user.

IMHO - This parameter is there to check problems, not to overload the machine.

If you need stress OR testing - I have enough for 2.
If you need stress testing, use a tool for this, not a by product that cause oracle to work harder on matters unrelated to the application.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
That got me to thinking that maybe I should use the All setting in our Dev and Test databases to bring out the worst in new/revised apps and tune them before they go to Production.

Does that seem reasonable or does the All setting only affect certain kinds of SQL or be skewed some other way to not provide the kind of general stress-testing I'm envisioning?

Thanks.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D.
414.9715 (phone) / 935.5929 (pager)