RE: Standby abuse

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddelmoli@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:20:22 -0500

Dominic,

    Yes you can backup the logical separately from the physical, and you
should if it's being used for production purposes as it may well have to
be restored someday (we always hope not, but Murphy does rule).  It's
just that you can't use that backup to restore the production database.
Now a physical standby does allow you to do that, quickly, easily, and
while offloading that task from the production server.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International
978.313.3426
 information transmitted in this communication is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or
other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please destroy any copies, contact the