Re: Standard Edition standby database

  • From: "Sandra Becker" <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Neil Overend" <neiloverend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:54:06 -0600

Neil,

I just found my answer on Metalink.  I wasn't using the right key words
before I guess.  Anyway, you are correct.  Managed recovery isn't an option
with SE, only EE.  I'm already had a script to copy the logs from primary
node to secondary node, so I'll embellish that script to do what I need.
Since the president of the company made it crystal clear that he wants no
lag time when applying logs, I'll do a log switch and apply all logs since
the last switch immediately.

Thanks for your reply.

Sandy

On 7/6/07, Neil Overend <neiloverend@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We run RHEL4, Standard Edition 9.2.0.8 with standby. I beleive that
managed recovery is a Data Guard feature which is only available with
Enterprise Edition.

We log switch every 2 hours and ftp files from primary to standby
(which satisfies our SLA). We manually recover as it's handy to be
able to recover to a specific time (within  2 hours) and open read
only and look at the data. Handy when users complain that the system
has changed their data, with that and a bit of auditing we can usually
point out why the user is wrong.

On 06/07/07, Sandra Becker <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> RHEL4, Standard Edition 9.2.0.8
>
> Can anyone point me to a good document for setting up a standby database
for
> Standard Edition?  I'm specifically looking for something that will tell
me
> how to put in managed recovery mode.  Is that even possible with SE?
>
> I've read the Oracle docs, but they assume you can use
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n,