Re: Standard Edition RAC - CPU core limit?

  • From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Zhu,Chao" <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 14:45:01 +0300

Yes, we have.
OK to be more precise we have created projects and apps (as we are a
software company) and customer uses this configuration. As our
customers mostly are our local organizations and also governmental
organizations they have quite strict requirements for uptime for
business hours, but actually at nights almost nobody works with these
apps. Also data volumes are not thaaaat big, i.e. in magnitudes of
(tens or hundreds) GB, not TB. So night windows are enough in case of
necessity. And the main factor here is price - if you compare
- 70K for 4 proc (say 4 cores) SE (RAC included) with
- 4 proc * 4 cores * 0.5 (let's say the average factor) * 47 500 =
380K EE (without RAC) and
- the same math for EE RAC 4 * 4 * 0.5 * 23 000 = 184 K EE RAC

So 70K vs 564K $. OK there are discounts and probably they can use
less cores but the difference is too big. Most of the time both
customer and we can agree that we'd rather improve functionality of
our app than spend half a million for licences :)

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu