Sql Developer - Migration from Sql Server to Oracle Database

  • From: "Sam Bootsma" <sbootsma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:16:25 -0400

I installed Oracle Sql Developer 1.5.1 today.  I also installed a 3rd
party JDBC driver
(C:\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\extensions\oracle.sqldeveloper.thirdparty.
drivers.sqlserver\lib\jtds-1.2.jar) using Tools / Preferences / Database
/ 3rd party JDBC Drivers.

When I go to create a new connection to our Sql Server database, I enter
the username and password, select the Sql Server tab, enter the host
name and leave the port as the default (1433).  I know I also have to
specify that the Sql Server instance is A02, but there is no place to
enter this information.  Instead, there is a button that says "retrieve
database".  I push the button, and it returns the message "Status:
Failure - Login failed for user 'sa'."

If I save the connection info and double-click the connection entry it
tells me the same thing, but also adds that the vendor code is 18456.

I am able to connect to this database using Sql Server Management
Express, so I know that the user id / password combination I am using is
correct.  Can anybody shed some light on this?  My ultimate goal is to
migrate Sql Server data to the Oracle database.  The vendor says there
is no code in the Sql Server database - just data in tables.

Thanks,

Sam Bootsma

Oracle Database Administrator

Information Technology Services