Re: Speaking of New Features

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bellows, Bambi (Comsys)" <bbel5@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:13:25 -0500

That's true, Oracle has extended SQL just like many other vendors. However,
I don't think they've done much to change the basic syntax for statements
like UPDATE and INSERT. They've done plenty to add DB-specific clauses for
things like PARALLEL, but those are additional clauses, not changing the
statement's basic syntax.

Just my $.02. I like the perl-hash-like syntax Chet proposed, but not sure
it'll go too far. Not sure if more people would buy or use Oracle based on
the availability of that enhancement. Such considerations may play a part in
whether it ends up getting coded. Several years ago, I thought the user
groups had a once-a-year enhancement list that members voted on and was sent
to Oracle for consideration. Maybe this one could get added to one of those
lists and sent up via a user group. I'm not sure they still do that, though.

Dan

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Bellows, Bambi (Comsys) <bbel5@xxxxxxxxxxxx