RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better? (specifically, when do most actual failovers really occur?)

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 05:46:41 -0400

<snip>

I am not sure when it can happen in a real life. Usually you failover
when primary is very dead.

<snip>

Hmm. Certainly you do fail over if primary is dead. But my experience is
that many more failovers are scheduled for preventive maintenance on the
normally primary box. I think it is healthy to regularly failover and back
on a regular (but relatively infrequent) schedule when a known duration
blimp can be tolerated. Further, this engages your entire staff in making
routine transparent network re-routing and all the other issues to use the
standby as production (and get back).

I'm curious what others see in the field: Is fail over routine or emergency
only? Do you have trouble getting back?

Regards,

mwf