Re: Solution to 100's of Oracle clients installed with Net8 and local tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: paula_stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:31:35 +0100

Comments in line
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:56:22 -0400, paula_stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<paula_stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What is the best solution for 100's of oracle client installs - it isn't =
> Oracle Names anymore, it likely isn't installing of each and every =
> client. =20
>
> -Is it LDAP and/or OID? =20
> -Is there any additional costs to OID? =20
> -Do I need to install OID along with 9ias and the 9ias infrastructure? =20
> -Can I integrate this with Window's ASD - which is part of our current =
> infrastructure?

I asked a very similar question a while back, before I start with
where I got to I'm going to make a wild assumption since you refer to
AD that you mean windows clients.

First of all I discovered that Directory naming for 9i using Windows
2003 Active Directory naming is broken. It supposedly works if you
install a 10g client to create the Oracle Naming context. Once you've
done that 9i clients can use the Oracle context correctly. However in
the course of the conversation with the support analyst - who
certainly knew a shedload more about ldap, directories and naming than
I do - it became somewhat apparent to me that really if we went down
the directory naming route it would probably be better to just go with
OID (which I think answers one of your above questions).

As far as 9.2 goes the relevant tar extract reads

<quote>
Niall,

There are currently unresolved problem in NetCA 92. The recommended
workaround is to use 10g NetCA to create t
he context. After that you should be able to manage the context with 92 tools l
ike NetMgr. If you do not have a local install of 10g you can download teh clie
nt install from OTN.

See Note.273440.1 NETca Unable to Create Oracle Schema in Active Directory
<quote>

As far as cost goes then you get a limited license for OID FAC with
the database for naming purposes only, so the answer to what does it
cost depends on whether you want to do any more with it than replace
tnsnames.ora

However once I'd got this far, it did seem appropriate to wonder if it
might not be better just to set TNS_ADMIN to a central location and
just have the one copy.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA