Re: Solid State Disks for Databases

  • From: Steve Rospo <Steve.Rospo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:28:58 -0700 (PDT)

ramfs is different than SSD.  SSD looks like a hard drive that just
happens to be really, really fast and as you suggest often have battery
and HD backups.  ramfs is a whole file system that the OS maintains
entirely in RAM.  It was only suggested in jest by (I think) Mladden but
the response is correct, ramfs goes bye-bye in the blink of an eye.

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Dennis Williams wrote:

> > > Neither prayer, nor the ray of light, nor the whole Madonna collection
> > > will help you if your redo logs are on ramfs and your machine crashes
> > > for whatever reason.
> I'm confused. Wouldn't the SSD have its own battery backup?

Stephen Rospo        Principal Software Architect
Vallent Corporation (formerly Watchmark-Comnitel)
steve.rospo@xxxxxxxxxxx           (425)564-8145

This email may contain confidential information. If you received this in
error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this
message and any attachments. Thank you.