RE: So how big is your buffer cache ?

  • From: "Gogala, Mladen" <Mladen.Gogala@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:53:26 -0400

That's the first time I see a lady say that. I thought it was a
consolation of us, middle-aged, chubby DBA males. Joking aside,
the buffer cache should be increased using the same principle
as for everything else: you increase the buffer size when you start
seeing free buffer waits in your V$SYSTEM_EVENT. The basic principle
of the event-based tuning methodology is to try fixing that what
sessions are actually waiting for, instead of computing BCHR,
horoscope or your personal lucky number.

--
Mladen Gogala
A & E TV Network