RE: Slow read on OCFS Windows

Steve,
Didn't know they had ocfs for Windows!?

I use (have only used) ocfs on Linux.
It works, but is IMHO much slower than EXT3 and RAW.

>>Can anyone confirm if this copy attempt is expected behavior
What do you mean by "copy".
In the OCFS-Linux world "copy" can not / should not be done by "cp"
but rather by using the o_direct as part of the OCFS utils;
cp --o_direct=yes /o04/arch/orcl/arch_orcl_T1_S136.arc  /o01/arch/

--http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs/dist/documentation/RHAS_best_practices.html

Copying files (i.e. cp --o_direct ..., dd o_direct=yes ..., tar --o_direct ...)
from an OCFS partition requires the application of fileutils and tar patches
that provide direct_io write capability. o_direct enabled versions of these
utilities are available from MetaLink  (http://metalink.oracle.com) as patches:

    * Patch 2883583: fileutils-4.1-4.2.i386.rpm
    * Patch 2913284: tar-1.13.25-9.i386.rpm

---OTN
Update on OCFS
by Wim Coekaerts

When the database opens a file on OCFS, it opens it with an extra flag,
O_DIRECT. When a file on any node is opened with O_DIRECT, regular file access
is not allowed. Attempting a cp, an md5sum, or a dd through the standard OS
tools will fail with -EPERM. If you want to be able to use cp or dd while the
database is up and running?to make a hot backup, for instance?you need to
download updated fileutils packages or use RMAN.

These updated fileutils?cp, dd, and the like?take an option, o_direct=yes, that
makes the tool also use 0_direct when opening the file.

Using O_direct makes the filesystem perform better. If you want to use dd or
cp, you should also add a large blocksize; the ideal size for OCFS is between
512K and 1MB. For example:

dd o_direct=yes if=/ocfs/foo of=/backup/foo.bak bs=1M

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA
HEYMONitor? - heymonitor.com