Re: Slow SQL performance

  • From: Maureen English <sxmte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:08:51 -0800

THANK YOU to all who responded!

In trying to make my question concise, I used the table that I thought was
causing the problem.  It turns out that there were many tables on which I
had generated statistics using the 'FOR ALL INDEXED COLUMNS' clause.  I got
a list of all of the tables involved and regenerated the statistics on them
using *both*:

method_opt=>'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE 1'

and

no_invalidate=>FALSE

What a difference it made!  The query (Oracle Forms searching last names)
went from taking about 5 minutes to taking about 5 seconds!

The 'no_invalidate=>FALSE' was the answer to my question...although, I'm sure
that the other suggestions regarding granting select on the table, or creating
a comment on the table, would also have worked.

Thanks again to all who responded.

- Maureen

Allen, Brandon wrote:
The default for no_invalidate in 10g (10.2.0.2 at least) is not TRUE, it
is DBMS_STATS.AUTO_INVALIDATE:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14258/d_stats.h
tm#i1036461

Regards,