RE: Skip scans

  • From: "Parker, Matthew" <matthewp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:53:11 -0800

 In 9i skip scan is turned on automatically without the necessity of the =
hint. Under 9.2.0.3 we had to turn it off as the optimizer was choosing =
it when other more usable indexes were avaialable. In 9.2.0.5, it =
appears more stable. However, for simple performance it is useful in low =
usage scenarios, (the query is not executed that often and you don't =
have space to burn). Under heavy usage it is much more efficient to =
simple build the index you need versus incurring the block buffer hit =
from the skip scan.