Re: Skip scans

  • From: Barbara Baker <barb.baker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:26:39 -0700

Hmmm
I wasn't really aware that you could turn them off. Thought you "got
them" starting with 9i.

I had a 9.2.0.4 database that had optimizer_features set to 8.0.4
When I removed the optimizer_features param, I had a query go from 5
minutes to 6 hours.  It started using a skip scan.  The problem was
that the developer went view-crazy.  The query went something like
"select * from tab1 minus select * from tab2".  But tab1 and tab2 were
really views, and one of those contained yet another view.  Under 8.0
everything was date-driven, which worked.  But in 9i Oracle decided to
outsmart itself and use another index.  Oracle could not see the "big
picture" because rather than a nice query that it could optimize,
everything was hidden in the views.

Only time I've seen a problem, but it was a biggie.  Others have raved
about skip scans.  I just always seem to get the flaky queries . . .

I'd say go for it, but watch for the sucker-punch.

Barb