Re: Simple listener parameter question

  • From: "Dan Norris" <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 21:41:16 -0600

I agree on the RAC point--it should be the VIP name/address in a RAC
cluster. I also agree that in most cases for single-instance database
servers you can safely leave it unset. However, I think setting it to
HOST=localhost may only allow connections from the database server itself
since it would cause the listener to listen on 127.0.0.1 and *not* on other
IP addresses (like the "real" IP address of the host). I can't easily test
this right now, but I'm pretty sure it's correct for current versions. It
will also and almost always be affected by whether or not you specify
(IP=FIRST) in the ADDRESS section as well. Have a look at ML 421305.1 for
some really good and relevant information related to your question.

It is also valid syntax to use (HOST=) and that will also cause the listener
to invoke default behavior and listen on the IP address that corresponds to
the hostname of the server it is running on (or possibly on 0.0.0.0, which
is synonymous with all IP addresses on the node).

Dan