Re: Shrink Table: IEstimating Rollback Space

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:47:16 +0800

Undo (and Redo !) will be quite noticeable-- more so as you have indexes on the table.

A SHRINK operates as a DELETE (which will be the very significant portion of Undo) *and* an INSERT.
Both operations also have to update Indexes .
The Indexes will not shrink until and unless you do a COALESCE or REBUILD.

See MetaLink Note#577375.1 and Bug# 3888229.

Hemant K Chitale

At 04:52 AM Friday, Ian  MacGregor wrote:
I have a 450 GB table with 150 GB of free space.  I'd like to shrink the
table, but I'm not sure how much rollback will be needed.  Is there a
formula?  One that accounts for the indexes as well?

Ian MacGregor
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble." Mohandas Gandhi Quotes : http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html