Re: Should I be worried about "ASM Background Timer" wait?

  • From: fairlie rego <fairlie_r@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gxallen@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 14:47:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

  AFAIK ASM Background timer wait event is an idle wait event like PMON timer
and SMON timer and is set when the ASMB background process is waiting on
messages from the ASM instance.

  Regards,
  Fairlie

Grant Allen <gxallen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  A new consultant on site (and I) are curious about the "ASM Background
Timer" wait, as it's being reported in the top 5 waits. I'm more
interested in confirming if this is just an idle event used by ASM to
indicate that it has nothing to do. The system (10gR2, Solaris
64-bit, EMC SAN, db of about 40GB) is running relatively well, but
we're curious nonetheless.

Nothing comes back from [technet | www | tahiti | docs].oracle.com,
nor much from Google (just a few appendix listings classing it as an
idle event). Anyone have any background on it?

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

          Fairlie Rego
Senior Oracle Consultant
  http://www.linkedin.com/in/fairlierego

  http://el-caro.blogspot.com/
  M: +61 402 792 405

Sponsored Link

Get an Online or Campus degree - Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's - in less
than one year.