Re: Server-managed vs storage-managed backup/recovery?

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:39:50 -0600

Michael,
Funny thing is, I've never trusted dbverify.  :-)  Too many false positives,
even on "offline" datafiles.  Different code base from the Oracle kernel ­
not comforting.  After all, for all the false positives it throws, how do
you know how many ?real negatives¹ it might be missing?

Besides, using dbverify still leaves the archived redo logfiles
"un-verified" against corruption, so you have to come up with some other
home-grown kludge like verifying them using Log Miner or standby db or ALTER
SYSTEM DUMP LOGFILE or some such.  Life is too short to reinvent a well-made
wheel...

I'm optimistic at being able to test and validate a "grand unified theory"
of backup/recovery where RMAN is used either with mirror-splits or without
mirror-splits, supporting both storage-managed storage as well as
server-managed storage.  Best of all worlds...

Thanks for the help!

-Tim