Re: Server shared as a file server

  • From: Dias Costa <dcosta@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dcosta@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:00:40 +0000

Hi Dennis,

The server memory is 2GB. It has two processors. The OS is Linux. The Oracle version is 8.1.7.

In this server i usualy have 60 users and in peak
times i have 6 transactions per second.
The files are short (tipically 5MB) and they are
used to create reports produced  from the database
in the same server.

generally the swapping file (4GB) is half used.

Yes the database is critical. It's an ERP.

No there's no the possibility of separating the I/O.

My concern has mainly to do with the I/O subsystem
as you pointed out.
And, if memory serves me well, i read somewhere
that the two different regimes of reading from the
disks may provoke latency.

Thanks Dias Costa

Dias,

to not use a machine
with Oracle database server simultaneously as a file server ?

I think you understand the situation. If a server is used for two purposes, there may not be enough resources for both uses. What is the usage pattern for the file server? Is it relatively stable or are there heavy spikes when large files are retrieved? Is the database critical? Do the heavy usage patterns differ in time - ie. is the database used more in the morning and the file server more in the afternoon? My understanding is that file servers mainly use the I/O subsystem. Is there a possibility of separating the I/O so there is less contention?

Dennis Williams