RE: Server Architecture

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>, "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 13:19:17 -0500

If your oratab file is up to date, then yes, that takes care of it for
you.  But if you're not maintaining your oratab, or you accidentally
forget to update it, or fat-finger the change, or, and we see this a
lot, you are running Veritas Cluster Server or something similar, where
just because a home was created on one node does not mean that two weeks
later it will still be on that node, you're stuck.

In fact, I have three or four customers I can think of where they follow
this one home + one user model, and at least one of them wrote a custom
bash_login script that automatically sets all of the environment
variables as they log in based on the directory name of the home and the
userid.  Very clean and simple.

Thanks,

Matt