RE: Server Architecture

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx, <satheeshbabu.s@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 23:54:35 +0800

As for "maintenance headache" in terms of patching  :

1. 5 seperate servers means 5 seperate oracle_homes means that a patch has to be applied 5 times 2. virtualisation of 1 phsyical server into 5 virtual servers still means 5 seperate oracle_homes and a patch having to be applied 5 times
3.  1 server with 5 seperate oracle_homes is still the same as options 1 and 2.

As for "single point of failure",  this could well be in a failover cluster
to provide protection from server failure.

As for "licencing",  if it were 5 servers of 2 CPUs each, licencing costs would
be for 10 CPUs.  And management would be unhappy to see CPUs on some
of these servers being underutilised.
One single larger server with , say, 4 to 8 CPUs, might handle all 5 databases
at a lower licencing cost.
True virtualistaion can lower the cost.
But if these were larger environments, say 5 servers of 4 CPUs   versus
1 server of 16 CPUs,  virtualisation might not be able to deliver as well.

The advantage of sharing multiple CPUs is that there is lesser "slack" in CPU usage.

Hemant K Chitale

At 09:26 PM Thursday, Freeman, Donald wrote:
I'm certainly not the most experienced DBA on this board but It sounds like virtualization without the virtual. It sounds like a single point of failure for 5 databases and, yes, it sounds like a big maintenance headache. I don't see a licensing impact. You have to license for the number of processors on the box regardless. Why not virtualize?

Donald Freeman
Database Administrator II
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Department of Health