Re: Semi-OT: Thoughts on Flash pages in MetaLink?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 14:25:09 -0500 (CDT)

>> getting old and stuck in my old ways, but I think it's be more difficult

And I apparently be more difficult typing before the holiday...  ;)

> Some other concerns:
>
> Searching on document number - I see no way to do that.
> Plug the ML # into the search bar, and you have to guess which document it
> actually is.
> Bug database?  How do you search on that?
> I didn't see the advanced search.  Maybe it's there and I just did not see
> it.

I do like that the SR display formats the responses for easier viewing, but
at the cost of information -- it cuts off one particularly long SR that I've
had open since Feb 2008 and hides the helpful SR status numbers.

While playing with the Flash I easily managed to peg a core of my T7250 CPU
for at least a minute.  And there's some parts of the interface that offer
no feedback when it's busy doing something, so the user's not sure if they
clicked on a widget or they need to try to click again.  There's also some
quirks in the layout configuration too, but that's minor.

It's not a bad app overall.  I'm just much more pragmatic about interfaces
when it comes to critical business functions like Support.  I'm not (yet?)
to the point of Jakob Nielsen (http://useit.com), but substituting
proprietary Flash for standards-based and ubiquitous web design seems to be
a step backwards.

Speaking of Dr. Nielsen: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6653119.stm

Rich