Re: Semi-OT: Learning Perl from ground up ?

May not work for everyone, but here's how I did it, um, 17 years ago (? !
Ye gods).
1) Picked a moderately ambitious project.
2) Got copies of "Learning Perl" and "Programming Perl"
3) Banged away for a few weekends and some late nights until it worked.
4) Like many new converts to Perl, was annoyingly fastidious about trying
to use it as the hammer for every nail I found.  Not always efficient, but
I learned stuff. ;-)
For some context, I was coming at the project from a limited programming
background (some shell scripting experience from student jobs and a
semester each of intro Fortran and Pascal as taught to all the engineering
majors at my school), so your definition of "moderately ambitious" may
differ. I was also a university student at the time, so I obviously had
more liberal swathes of time on those weekends than we are all likely to
have now. :-)

Regards,

John P.