Self-Healing ORA-01578's

  • From: "Singer, Phillip (P.W.)" <psinger1@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:49:16 -0400

This actually happened to me Saturday Night:

Running my 4-way Linux box (4.21 Kernel) with 9.2.0 (and
using a SAN for my disks) I discovered a ORA-01578. After
several hours of work with Oracle support, running dbverify,
and creating test queries, we determined that there really
was block corruption.

We used dbms_repair to get everything but the bad block,
and were getting ready to see what would happen on a
tablespace recovery, when the backup group decided to
stop the instance to do a cold backup (I work for a large
organization, with every task subdivided, with little
communication).

When the instance came back up the block corruption was
gone.  This is the one part of the whole affair that I find
incredible.  Does someone have an idea as to how bouncing
an instance can fix block corruption which was proven by
dbverivy?