RE: Select Any Table : Pros and Cons.

Thanks Dennis, Jared and Dick Goulet.

I am also against granting any privilege to anyone with "ANY" word. I am
evennot in favour of granting create public synonym / db links.. I fact for
the production databases I try to restrict the users even from creating
objects. Let a designated person promote the objects in production.

I also understand, if they are smart.. DB links if not created with caution
can lead to a major issue.

Jared, I am not in a publicly traded company.

Not that we cannot trust the developers but even then some data is sensitive
and should be restricted. With DB Link (PW) they can login to other
databases.

This request is from a section / group which will need a reason for denying
it.

Will work on some reasons and present it.

Thanks

Nik

oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: RE: Select Any Table : Pros and Cons.
>Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 16:37:53 -0500 >>Nik >   I don't see where anyone
hasresponded yet, but the list has been acting >flaky lately. >>In general,
beware of granting privileges named "ANY". I would strongly >favor creating
arole, granting select on all needed tables to that role, >then granting the
role to the developers. I'm guessing that today this >database does not
contain any information that is private from any >developers. But you never
know about tomorrow. You may incorporate a new >schema and forget the
developers have this privilege. I haven't tested this, >but I'm guessing if
this database has any links to other databases, a clever >developer might be
able to see enough information to figure out how to get >to that other
system. Just strikes me as poor practice. >>Dennis Williams >DBA >Lifetouch,
Inc. >dwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >>-----Original Message----- >From:
oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of H elp_me >Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 2:39 PM >To:
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >Subject: Select Any Table : Pros and Cons. >>>
Hello,   Can someone list me the pros and cons of SELECT ANY TABLE
http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/ >FAQ is at
http://www.freelists.org/help/fom-serve/cache/1.html
http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/ >FAQ is at
http://www.freelists.org/help/fom-serve/cache/1.html