RE: Securing forms over Oracle 10gAS

  • From: "Reidy, Ron" <Ron.Reidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <stankup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ora_forum@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:22:21 -0700

Paula,

I think writing the rules to prevent SQL injection for mod_security
would be the never ending, always incomplete job.

If you want to protect against SQL injection, you will need to validate
all input and always use bind variables.  I know this sounds overly
simplistic, but check out the results of this Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=sql+injection+oracle&sourceid=mozilla-sea
rch&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:e
n-US:official

Securing Apache is a large subject.  Adding Oracle to the equation just
increases the complexity of the issue, because of the things you should
lock down on the database and database software sides.  I think using
mod_security is a step in the right direction, but, you should also
consider installing Apache on a different sever, or at least, a separate
ORACLE_HOME, and putting it in a jail.

Just my $0.02.

--
Ron Reidy